I want to take this opportunity to again thank all our members for their ongoing support. With your help, we had great success sponsoring Assembly Bill 1223 (Caballero, D) which requires state government entities to timely post online when payments are made to GC's on construction projects and how much they were paid. This will help subcontractors determine (online) when their GC was paid, in what amount, and therefore enable them to lawfully demand immediate payment.
Last year we sponsored Senate Bill 1077 (Wilk, R) simply required non-residential and public construction project owners to timely provide to potential bidders the complete terms of their "wrap" insurance policy with the bid solicitation package, so bidders know whether to bid on the project, and at what amount. ASAC valiantly withstood the onslaught of opposition and with support from labor, NECA, UCON, the Union Roofers Association, and a GC organization the bill was in the home stretch. Despite numerous amendments and after garnering support from some major GC's and both Labor and Open Shop organizations, the CBIA reversed course over the weekend before session ended and sent in an opposition letter claiming the bill negatively impacted affordable housing starts. While we question the relevance it compelled the author to drop the measure to the severe disappointment of ASAC, URCA, and others.
This year ASAC shifted its focus on Assembly Bill 1736. It is aimed at providing all contractors prompt notification of who the low bidder is on projects owned by local agencies (not State agencies or Universities). The Bill sits now with the Senate Governance & Finance Committee. We continue to ask members to send their support in writing to their senator while ASAC continues to persevere.
Accordingly, your personal contribution to our efforts will pave the way toward success in the new Legislature beginning in January. If you'd like to contribute by being a member of our Governmental Relations Committee (and help determine positions on several pending bills), or if you're ready to step up and volunteer to lead ASAC please contact me!
- Advocacy – Keep up and have a voice on legislative initiatives and judicial precedent.
- Educational Opportunities - Legal Notices & Various Seminars/Webinars
- Networking Events – local chapter events near you!
- Business Discounts – Health Insurance, Workmans Comp and More!
- Model Docs - Contract Clauses, Negotiations, Short Forms, Bid Proposals, Project Insurance, Retainage, Contingent Payment, Reservation of Rights, Project Management and more!
- Government Advocacy - Washington, D.C. Legislators and other decision-makers hear your point-of-view on issues affecting business conditions for subcontractors.
- Benefit Service Discounts - The Blue Book, UPS, Verizon, Consensus Docs, Textura, HP, Project Doc Control and more!
- National Conference - join us for our annual event first class location, speakers and more!
- Business Trends and News - Contractors Compass and weekly emails.